These fissures cut deep in to the dermis due to pressure on standing and pain a lot. Sometimes the skin may even start to bleed aggravating the pain. If bacteria, dirt or dust enter the heel fissures, an infection may develop further complicating the matter. Neglecting foot care exacerbates cracked heel condition. The causes of cracked heels may be listed as follows:
1. Possessing naturally dry skin
3. Prolonged standing on hard surfaces
4. Being overweight and increased pressure on the normal fat pad due to it.
5. Wearing open back or thin soled shoes
6. Improper gait
7. Medical conditions like diabetes, hypothyroidism etc.
8. Skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, Athlete's foot etc.
9. Flat feet or high arches on feet
10. Faulty alignment of metatarsal bones
11. Surgical procedure in the lower extremities
12. Habit of soaking feet in hot fuming water
13. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
14. Dry, humid weather conditions.
1. Soak your feet in a basin of warm water for 10-15 minutes. Then use pumice stone to scrub off the dead skin on your heel. After this, apply Vitamin E oil on the heels and wear a pair of soft cotton socks to seal in the oil coat. Repeat this remedy for few days at a stretch. You will surely notice a marked improvement in the condition of your heels.
2. Generous application of cocoa butter on heel fissures mends them.
3. Prepare a homemade foot scrubber. Mix table salt or sugar with baby oil and scrub your heels with it. This will remove the thick dead skin from the heels and will prevent the development of cracks.
4. Apply a mixture of coconut oil and melted pure wax on heel cracks daily. This will cause them to disappear soon.
5. Mingle melted paraffin wax and mustard oil. Apply the mixture on the cracks at bedtime. Then wear a pair of clean socks to allow the mixture to settle on cracks overnight. Rinse thoroughly in the morning. This will zip the heel cracks in no time.
6. Simply soaking feet in warm salt water eases the pain and discomfort caused by cracked heels. It also keeps germs away, thereby preventing infection.
7. Dust the cracked heels with talcum powder before wearing shoes. This reduces friction and checks the worsening of cracks.
8. Mix honey, olive oil and a pinch of turmeric powder. Apply the mixture on cracked heels. This sufficiently moisturizes heels, zips the cracks and fights infection causing bacteria.
9. Massage the gaping heel cracks with cucumber juice. This will heal them fast.
10. Application of ripe banana pulp on heel cracks is a good curative measure.
11. Apply a combination of glycerin and rose water on heel cracks regularly to get rid of them.
12. Walk bare foot on green grass. This is beneficial in treating cracked heels.